2.41 Women’s Cheek End Workshop Overview:
A chance to learn from the women in North America who are DSWA Certified Instructors! At The Stone Trust, all of our women’s only workshops are taught by women wallers.
Whenever you’re building a wall, sooner or later it must come to an end. A cheek end is the typical way to end a wall. It is also called a wall end, wall head, or square end. Cheek ends are a particular challenge to build well and structurally are the most vulnerable part of a wall, so it is important to get it right.
Cheek ends are particularly tricky to build well, and this workshop will give participants first hand experience with this. Working as a partner with another participant, each pair will dismantle and rebuild a cheek end on a freestanding wall about 54″ tall. The two day format will give participants time get familiar with how to build a cheek end. Setting up a frame to guide the build and the stone shaping needed to accomplish the task are all included. Of particular importance is learning to plan ahead so each stone is used to its maximum value. The end goal of the workshop is for each pair to build structural stable cheek end.
This workshop is ideally suited to the contractor or avid home owner as well as those thinking of testing Level II (3.90) in the future. It is a paired down version of the Walling Skills Intensive (3.30)
This workshop is taught concurrently with 1.20 so participants in that workshop will be rebuilding adjoining sections of straight wall.
Certified DSWA-GB Instructors will guide participants through the process of building a dry stone cheek end. There will be no more than 6 students per instructor, so there is plenty of direct interaction with the instructors. Most workshops have 1 instructor with up to 6 participants.
This workshop is typically offered spring and fall in Dummerston VT, and at select other locations at varying times.
This course is commonly taught at:
- Stone Trust Training Center in Dummerston, VT (Outdoors)
- Occasional offerings at other locations.
More details coming soon.
- 2-day workshop.
- Each day the workshop will run 9:00am-5:00pm with 1/2 hour lunch break.
- Participants should wear boots and work clothes (have plenty of layers for cool weather)
- What to bring: gloves, rain gear, safety glasses, water, and lunch. (There is no where close enough to buy lunch with in the lunch break)
- All tools needed are provided.
- Participants are welcome to bring stone shaping tools they already own.
Detailed info will be emailed to you once you register including what to bring and directions.
Licensed Landscape Architects can receive 15 LA CES credits for participating in this workshop.
Workshop quick guide:
- Great ‘next step’ workshop
- All women environment
- Instructors are women
- 2-days: 9am-5pm
- Ideal for anyone planning to build a wall end
- Practice planning ahead & shaping stones
- Prerequisite courses: Any 1.00 level course, or 2.10, or 2.13
Landscape Architects receive 15 LA CES credits for taking this workshop
Photos from 2.40 workshops (photos from several locations)
All Upcoming Fundamentals (2.00) Level Courses
- 2.60 Contractors Intensive (5-day) 11-8 thru 11-12-2021
November 8, 2021 - November 12, 2021
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- 5-day workshop
This workshop includes 4 days of training and the Dry Stone Walling Association of Great Britain (DSWA-GB) Level I (Initial) certification test on the final day. It is perfect for the landscape or masonry contractor interested in starting to build dry stone walls, or expand that line of work, and gain DSWA-GB Certification. Equivalent to a combination of courses 1.20, 2.8, and 2.9 plus much more! REGISTRATION DEADLINE is September 19, 2021!