3.10 Steps and Stairs Workshop Overview:
This workshop will teach everything you need to know in order to build strong and long lasting dry stone steps. Participants will divide up into pairs and work on building several sets of stairs in the Master Feature Park. There will be variations in materials and methods. Learn techniques for moving large stones by hand. Layout, dimensions, sourcing stones, understanding how to set the elevations with a story pole, shaping the steps, and integrating them into walls will all be included.
Certified DSWA-GB Instructors will guide participants through the process of building a dry stone wall. The lead instructor will be a DSWA-GB Master Craftsman. There will be no more than 4 students per instructor, so there is plenty of direct interaction with the instructors. Most workshops have 2 instructors with up to 8 participants.
It is recommended that those registering for this workshop take at least one Level 1.00 or 2.00 course prior to this workshop, but it is not required.
This course is commonly taught at:
More Details Coming Soon
A brief guided tour of the other walls and stone features at the location where the workshop is taught is also a common part of the workshop.
At the end of the workshop participants will receive a certificate of workshop completion, t-shirt, and a packet full of walling information. There is also time to purchase tools, books and supplies, as well as ask additional questions.
- The workshop will run 9:00am-5:00pm with a 1/2 hour lunch break.
- Participants should wear boots and work clothes (have plenty of layers for cool weather)
- What to bring: gloves, rain gear, safety glasses, water, and lunch. (There is no where close enough to buy lunch with in the lunch break)
- All tools needed are provided.
- Participants are welcome to bring their personal stone shaping tools as well
Detailed info will be emailed to you once you register including what to bring and directions.
Licensed Landscape Architects can receive 7.5 LA CES credits for participating in this workshop.
Workshop quick guide:
- Learn to build steps and stairs
- 1-day: 9am-5pm
- Learn to move large stones by hand
- See different types of stone being used
- Offered once per year
- 1 instructor per 4 students
- Typical Cost $375
Photos from 3.10 Steps and Stairs Workshop:
All Upcoming Dry Stone Waller (3.00) Level Courses
- Fall Certification Test: Friday, 9/20/2019, Dummerston
September 20, 2019
8:15 am - 6:30 pm
- 1 Day attendance
Testing Levels Initial, Intermediate and Advanced (Part B). Friday, May 3, 2019. NOTE: You must hold the previous level certification to sign up for any test above level 1. THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS MONDAY, August 5th! NO LATE REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.