3.30 Walling Skills Intensive Workshop Overview: New for 2019!
The Walling Skills Intensive (WSI) workshop is intended for the intermediate waller who desires to test for Level 2. You will understand the scoring criteria used in the DSWA Level 2 Certification Test, and you will know what areas you personally need to focus on to successfully test. Goals for each student are:
- Understand what is necessary to achieve a passing Level 2 test stint
- Understand and experience a passing quality build
- Benchmark your walling skills and speed so that you know what to focus your test preparation on
It is not unusual to fail the Level 2 certification test. It is a demanding test and the skill level improvement from Level 1 is substantial. This WSI workshop is intended to help more students pass. During the WSI workshop each student will build a high quality cheek end in the first three days. This will provide you with the necessary skills and an understanding of the standard you must build to. You will execute a 7-hour timed build on the fourth day. This will reinforce the lessons learned and will benchmark speed and quality. Both of these walls will be graded, and detailed feedback will be provided. Wall evaluation and feedback will be led by a Examiner/Master Craftsman.
As part of this workshop you will be set up with a DSWA-GB instructor to mentor you through the process of preparing for your Level II test. The mentor will be able to review photos of your practice work and provide additional tips, feedback, and encouragement through phone, email, and other communication methods.
Certified DSWA-GB Instructors will guide participants through the process of building a dry stone wall. There will be no more than 4 students per instructor, so there is an excess of direct interaction with the instructors. Most workshops have 2 instructors with up to 8 participants.
This course is commonly taught at:
- Broadview Farm, Mont Vernon, NH (Outdoors)
- Site Preparation
- Batter Frames & Stringlines
- Material Preparation
- Sorting and Site Layout
- Each student cut and trim two through stones
- Each student cut cheek stones
- Select and assemble stones for coping
- First Lift
- Throughs (2 hours)
- Rework where necessary
- Build Second Lift
- Review and grade
- Test Practice
- Strip out and rebuild test stints (7 hours)
- Review and Grade
- Identify specific focus areas for each student prior to formal testing.
- Identify mentors.
- Prior to taking this workshop you should have taken an introductory workshop, and the cheek rebuild workshop.
- This course requires that you complete four consecutive days of strenuous physical activity. Please talk with a TST staff member if you are concerned about your ability to complete this.
- All activities are outdoors. Wear appropriate clothing for the time and place. You must wear close-toed work shoes and safety glasses. Gloves are recommended. Ear and breathing protection will be available for portions of the workshop where these are necessary. If you have personal devices that you prefer, that is fine.
- Bring you own lunch and refreshments. Water is provided.
- The workshop will run each day 9:00am-5:00pm with 1/2 hour lunch break.
- Participants are encouraged to bring and use their own tools. Additional tools needed are provided.
Detailed info will be emailed to you once you register including what to bring and directions.
Licensed Landscape Architects can receive 30 LA CES credits for participating in this workshop.
Workshop quick guide:
- Specifically intended to teach the needed skills for Level II DSWA-GB Certification
- 4-days: 9am-5pm
- Prerequisite: 2.10 or 2.40 or 2.90
- Offered Once per year
- Typical Cost $990