3.40 Stringlines & Batter Frames Workshop Overview:
This workshop is all about how to build and use guides for dry stone walling. We will show you different methods and materials to build batter frames for a variety of situations. Participants will split up into small groups to practice various techniques. Learn tips and tricks for correctly using string lines and how to prevent common errors. Learn how to determine the appropriate dimensions for the walls, correct batter angle, and what to do for special features and unusual circumstances.
As part of this workshop you will be set up with a DSWA-GB instructor to mentor you through the process of preparing for your Level II test. The mentor will be able to review photos of your practice work and provide additional tips, feedback, and encouragement through phone, email, and other communication methods.
Certified DSWA-GB Instructors will guide participants through the process of building a dry stone wall. There will be no more than 4 students per instructor, so there is an excess of direct interaction with the instructors. Most workshops have 2 instructors with up to 8 participants.
This course is commonly taught at:
- The Stone Trust Center, Dummerston, VT (Outdoors)
- Prior to taking this workshop you should have taken an introductory workshop.
- This course requires that you complete four consecutive days of strenuous physical activity. Please talk with a TST staff member if you are concerned about your ability to complete this.
- All activities are outdoors. Wear appropriate clothing for the time and place. You must wear close-toed work shoes and safety glasses. Gloves are recommended. Ear and breathing protection will be available for portions of the workshop where these are necessary. If you have personal devices that you prefer, that is fine.
- Bring you own lunch and refreshments. Water is provided.
- The workshop will run from 9:00am-5:00pm with a 1/2 hour lunch break.
- Participants are encouraged to bring and use their own tools. Additional tools needed are provided.
Detailed info will be emailed to you once you register including what to bring and directions.
Licensed Landscape Architects can receive 30 LA CES credits for participating in this workshop.
Workshop quick guide:
- 1-day: 9am-5pm
- Offered Once per year
- Typical Cost $335